We can provide strategic guidance to determine whether NBGS, or another rating system such as LEED is best for your project and goals. If NGBS is chosen, we can continue to guide you through the certification process and help as an NGBS Green Verifier on your project. Our past experience working on numerous NGBS projects helps us bring you a unique perspective and guidance.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL GREEN BUILDING STANDARD
The National Green Building Standard™ (NGBS) was established by Home Innovation Research Labs. Home Innovations Research Labs was founded in 1964 as a wholly-owned, independent subsidiary of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), dedicated solely to issues related to the home building industry.
Home Innovation Research Lab's NGBS certification is approved by ANSI as an American National Standard. An NGBS certification provides independent, third-party verification that a home, apartment building or land development is designed and built to achieve high performance in six key areas: Site Design, Resource Efficiency, Water Efficiency, Energy Efficiency, Indoor Environmental Quality, and Building Operation & Maintenance. Home Innovations Research Labs states that NGBS certification results in homes with three attributes that are highly marketable to today's consumers:
- Providing fresh air ventilation that improves indoor air quality
- Limiting pollutants and contaminants in the home
- Preventing moisture problems that can contribute to mold and attract pests
Lower Operating Costs
- Reducing utility costs through cost-effective energy and water efficiency practices
- Controlling maintenance costs through durable construction and product selection
- Providing technical and educational resources to ensure the home’s optimum performance
- Promoting walkability
- Reducing home maintenance through enhanced durability
- Preserving natural resources through responsible land development practices
In addition to certifying green homes and developments, Home Innovations Research Labs also pre-approves products that are eligible for points toward certification of those projects. If you see a product with the Home Innovations NGBS Green Certified mark, it has been submitted by the manufacturer for evaluation and approval within the NBGS's points system. NGBS Green Certified Products can make the verification and certification process more straightforward for builders when installed properly and in the right quantity or manner specified.