runbrook's hers rating services
RunBrook RESNET Home Energy Rater's are skilled at conducting energy ratings of homes, especially for multifamily and tract home projects. Our experienced and efficient staff is ready to help.
about hers ratings
The Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index is the industry standard by which a home’s energy efficiency is measured, as well as a nationally recognized system for inspecting, testing and calculating a home’s energy performance. A HERS Index score demonstrates how well a home performs energy-wise or how efficiently it is operating. A home with a low HERS Index score is more efficient than a home with a high HERS Index score.
To calculate a home’s HERS Index score, a certified RESNET Home Energy Rater does an energy rating of the home. The energy rating will consider things such as:
· Exterior walls, both above and below grade
· Floors over unconditioned spaces, like garages or cellars
· Ceilings or roofs
· Attics, foundations and crawlspaces
· Windows and doors, vents and ductwork
· The HVAC system, water heating system, and thermostat
· The air leakage of the home, and
· Leakage in the heating and cooling distribution system
A HERS Rater will then compare the home’s actual data against a “reference home,” which is a designed model home of the same size and shape as the actual home. As a result, a home’s score is always relative to the size, shape and type of house being rated.
As a result of consumer demand, many builders are making energy efficiency a part of the construction approach and marketing cost and energy savings to tenants and buyers.